Saturday, June 18, 2011

june 1

Previously: May 31

(Throughout these posts, click on any picture to make it bigger.)

Once at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam I had about an hour to find my next gate. It wasn't such a challenge because every sign and announcement was both in Dutch and English. Sometimes only English. One peculiar thing, though: Security is individual for each gate. So in order to get to the gate, to wait for the plane, you have to go through security right in front of your gate. Not sure which system (theirs or ours) is better.

Once in Edinburgh, I did the whole immigration/customs thing (at that point wishing I was a member of the EU so I could breeze through that line) and then caught a bus to the train station. From there I walked to my apartment, and was in by 12:15. Here's a view from my "3rd" (UK translation: 4th) floor walk-up:


Quaint, no? Though I desperately wanted to take a nap, I forced myself to get out there. I decided to walk to the Palace of Holyroodhouse, where I found this:



In case you can't see the sign, it reads: PALACE CLOSED. A quick inquiry tells me that The Duke of Rothesay (aka Charles, Prince of Wales as he is known in Scotland) is in residence until Saturday, the day I leave. Stellar. Anyway, this is what it looks like from the outside:


It's hard to tell, but there are a bunch of fancy-looking people walking in. Par-tay with the Prince, I suppose.

Once over my disappointment, I did a 180 and went into Holyrood Park where I looked upon this:


That's Arthur's Seat; a 2mile hike to the top. I was told the 5mile, unhindered views were breathtaking, but there was no way I was going to attempt it. Instead, I decided to walk over to Calton Hill, a much more manageable climb that would give me decent enough view of Edinburgh:


That would be Edinburgh Castle, back center.

I then proceeded to the Canongate Kirk Cemetery where I just wandered around looking at old tombstones. This may sound macabre, but I love meandering through old graveyards. Apparently there are some important people (e.g., Adam Smith) buried there... I didn't necessarily find any, but that's okay.

After that I made my way to the John Knox House. This was a house built in 1490 that supposedly was home to Scotland's most famous reformation preacher. I could have cared less about Knox's history, but was rather only interested in the old building.

About that time I was hitting a wall, so I found a grocery store in which to purchase a few things for breakfast and I made my way home. And then I slept. I don't think I even ate dinner.

All June 1 photos:


Up next: Edinburgh Castle, The Royal Mile, and ghosts.

1 comment:

  1. I would be so sad if I didn't get to tour the palace! Such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete