Tuesday, April 5, 2011

a complex maze

I have a vivid memory of watching Labyrinth as a kid. I remember sitting on the floor of my parents' bedroom looking up at the TV. However, I don't really remember much of the movie - not plot nor characters. What I do remember? That muppets can be horrifying.

I just recently stumbled upon it again on Netflix, so I watched. The verdict? Still horrifying, if not for a host of different reasons. David Bowie, anyone?

If you're interested in a more high-brow version of the story (i.e., girl on a quest to find a family member in a mystical world), I recommend El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth).

As for me, I'm going to go have some nightmares about muppets.

2 comments:

  1. Pan's Labyrinth is infinitely better. I remember finding Labyrinth utterly boring and stupid--was David Bowie in it? Don't remember that at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually had never seen it until about a month ago - David Bowie's legging-sweatpants were quite off-putting, I must say.

    what if someone rented labyrinth thinking it was pan's labyrinth? hilarious. "i LOVED pan's labyrinth! the musical number with those weird fire muppets was captivating! best achievement in cinematography INDEED"

    ReplyDelete