Saturday, November 6, 2010

the wedding!

Over a month ago I went back to OH for Liz & Pat's wedding. Obviously, I've waited a long time to post about that trip/event. That in no way reflects on my feelings for the weekend/event/people. I'm just a procrastinator. Lazy, perhaps?

--

Quick aside. It's relevant, I swear. Back in VA, the day after our 10year reunion a few of us were sitting around and recapping the whole thing to Laura. We told our stories, Rosa shared her own pictures, and we looked at the pictures already posted online.

This is when Rosa made a brief, somewhat profound comment. Essentially something along the lines of: "In the age of instant social media, if you don't post right away, it's no longer relevant." And in this case, I agree. Even if Rosa had not been there with her camera, we could still look over the night and share it with Laura via others' online pictures. And all we needed were those couple people that posted their pictures immediately. During the next week, as people began to upload more pictures it became a bit redundant. Yup, saw those peoples. Yup, there's that same group from a different angle. Yup, it was fun.

But that got me thinking about my blog, about the wedding in particular. Was it too late to post? Had I somehow missed my theoretical opportunity to write about it, to share it with others? Would it just not matter anymore?

I came to the following conclusion: no. 

It definitely would have been a more accurate, detailed portrayal of the events were they fresher in memory. People may have been more interested because I wouldn't have had the opportunity to otherwise (i.e., verbally) tell them about it. But ultimately, I think there's something unique about writing. Pictures allow you to see what happened, and while I love having a visual record of such things, there are only so many angles from which you can capture the moment (at least without breaking some social norms, which restricts most people to taking similar "types" of pictures). Words, however, and the impressions that they allow you to describe will be ultimately unique in their presentation. I can be part of the exact same set of external stimuli as the person next me, but we're going to walk away with different experiences based on what we brought into the situation (e.g., thoughts, feelings, previous experiences) . That instance, though it shares a common structure, is unique to each of us.

It is this unique experience that I think is worth sharing... even if we're woefully late in doing so.

--

And now I've written a whole post and again haven't written about the wedding.

*headdesk*

1 comment:

  1. haha it's all about speed. don't worry, we'll still read the wedding recap. =]

    ReplyDelete