Saturday, July 16, 2011

MIFF, take 1

Yesterday ushered in the 14th annual Mane International Film Festival - or MIFF.

(And yes, I know. The acronym is 1letter away from... that other word).

Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy with my impending move and can't commit as much time to the festival as I would like, but I'm excited nonetheless.

Today I saw Darwin, a documentary about an isolated town (if you can even call it that) of 35 in Death Valley. Their closest neighbor is a top-secret military base where weapons are developed. Also: Barker Ranch, the last hideout of Charles Manson and his "family."

As I'm sure you can imagine, it takes a unique person (or group of people) to migrate to such a place.

After the screening there was a Q&A with Taylor Segrest, the writer and co-producer.

Though interesting, the highlight of today's film was the realization that film festival means NO PREVIEWS. Love.

1 comment: