Monday, May 2, 2011

the announcement

I stayed up last night to watch Obama announce that Osama bin Laden was killed by a US military operation. I'm glad I did. 

My thoughts during:
  • Finally.
  • I wonder how they did it.
  • Well done, Obama. Now, be sure to take credit while still granting credit where credit is due. Make sure the country knows that you were involved in this, but still sound humble. This is great politically.
  • This better be real. How embarrassing/horrible would it be if it turned out to not be bin Laden? I'm sure they confirmed it 100% before announcing this...
  • "[the team] took care to avoid civilian casualties." Is that political-speak for there were civilian casualties?
  • Retaliation. I wonder what al Qaeda is going to do in response. I hope we're - here and abroad - ready for this.
  • So we have his body. Please tell me that we are not going to keep it like some deranged war-trophy, but are going to treat it with respect according to Muslim law. No need to antagonize his followers, plus it's just the right thing to do.
  • And we're again one country. The spontaneous gatherings. The clear joy across the nation. It won't last; we'll return to our arguments and divisions soon enough... but not tonight. 
(Of course, as information has been reported, I now have the answers to some of those questions/concerns)

Many thoughts. Many emotions. Overall positive, but there's still some ambivalence as I process through the implications of all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment