Wednesday, March 9, 2011

mardi gras

A bunch of stuff happened last week. Stuff I should report here - and probably will at some point - but there's just too much going on at the moment to detail the events. So you're instead going to hear about how I celebrated Mardi Gras. In style.

Honestly, I wasn't even aware yesterday was Mardi Gras until, well, yesterday. Meaning that until yesterday I didn't even know that today was the beginning of Lent. 

[Even I'm confusing myself with all of the time warping in those last 2sentences.]

I've never really been one for giving something up for Lent. Probably because I know I'll crack within a week or two. So why set myself up for failure? 

Anyway, yesterday while grocery shopping I decided that I would give up refined sugar (and HFCS, which I try to avoid anyway) for 40 days. Well, try to at least. I'm not super committed to the this-has-to-be-for-the-entirety-of-Lent thing, but figured this was as good as time as any to start. If I can make it 40 days, excellent. Longer? Even better. Less? Eh, oh well.

Really this means all of my snacking will now be with salty foods (not sure if that's any "better"). Though hopefully, what this really means is that when I crave sweet (and I will) that I will reliably turn to fruit.

But Mardi Gras... When I got home from the store I realized that my candy dish (who am I kidding, it's a flower vase) had about 20 Andes Mints in it. I definitely couldn't have that around the house. So after dinner I set to the task of eating. them. all. If Mardi Gras is all about feasting and excess prior to fasting, well dammit, I was going to go crazy on these things. 

And I did... through 8 of them. Then it just got to be too much. 

So, anyone want some chocolate?

And that's how I celebrated Mardi Gras. I'm wild, right?

[Crap! I just remembered that I have Thin Mints coming to me soon. And now I have to wait to eat them. A%3$k#!]

[[Obviously I have a thing for the combination of chocolate and mint. LOVE.]]

4 comments:

  1. You are wild. WILD! It must be sort of embarrassing to tell others about your tales of hedonism and debauchery.

    I also forgot about Mardi Gras until I saw a parade coming down the street behind me yesterday while I was out running an errand. Thanks Berkeley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. weak! i would have expected you to finish at least 10. they are so tiny! haha
    good luck with the giving up refined sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am appalled that a daughter of mine could not finish at least half of the Andes Mints--they are so yummy. Of course, I haven't had one in probably over 6 years...nevertheless, they freeze really well. Just stick them in the freezer with the Thin Mints and have a wild Easter Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My school attempted a debauchery dinner, so that's how I knew. People were more excited there was music on in the mess deck.

    ReplyDelete