Tuesday, September 28, 2010

snapshots

I went to The MANHATTAN SHORT Film Festival on Sunday. There were 10short films from all around the world, shown in over 200cities. Shockingly, Waterville was one of those cities. DC? Not so much. I find that odd. They announce the winner this upcoming Sunday. I voted for Watching.

**

Thursday nights a local pub has trivia night. Last Thursday a bunch of us from the department decided to have dinner and play. Our team name was "The Maine Effects." If you get that joke, you are a statistics dork and I love you for it. Anyway... it costs 2dollars/person to play, and the winning team gets all of the evenings entrance fees. 30questions later you turn in your tickets. We got 24correct and apparently that was enough to win. I got enough money (11dollars) to cover my dinner. WIN. Who would have thought that 7people, 6 with PhDs, could beat Waterville locals?

**

And with that last sentence I became an elitist jerk. Sarah Palin must hate me.

**

My last post clearly outlined that I'm going to OH on Friday. Last night I looked at my ticket confirmation and it showed that I was going to IAD. Oh shit! I'm going to VA at the end of August, did I confuse the dates!? F! Upon further inspection, I am indeed going to IAD, but only for a layover. So close, yet so far... See you all at the end of October, though!

**

Netflix got confused and sent me 2movies this past weekend. Thank you, Netflix.

**

I've started applying for jobs again. That's all I want to say about that.

**

Saturday I started and finished The Hunger Games. Such a good book. I'd heard of it before, and found it in the Young Adult section of the bookstore, but that's only because it's main characters are teenagers. It's about 24children being thrown into a pit and needing to battle it out - to the death - until only one remains. How young adult is that? There are some serious themes in this book... I read it 4days ago and I can't stop thinking about it. It's a trilogy, and I'm desperately looking forward to reading the other 2. I'm even delaying my purchase of them because I know how much I will immediately devote myself to them. Must. work. first. I'm so responsible.

1 comment:

  1. Sooo I'm not sure how I feel about that book from the description you gave.

    And yay for trivia night! I'm going to bet you can live with the anguish of Sarah Palin hating you. :)

    ReplyDelete